Restoring: Strength and Balance 6
Breast Cancer Movement • 21m
Calming Workouts = slow-paced movement to calm the nervous system. These workouts are great for all seasons.
Healing Workouts = mobility and strength for 6+ weeks post-surgery and beyond. These workouts are best for partial and full mastectomy, once cleared by surgeon.
Restoring Workouts = traditional strength and mobility with modifications. These workouts are best during treatment and beyond. Restoring workouts progressively add more range of motion and difficulty, starting with #1 as the easier workout.
Resources = informative videos, best for pre-surgery and post-surgery.
This RESTORING workout challenges your balance, and your core stability as we move through eight exercises. Each exercise focuses on functional movement patterns to create a healthy core. Adding the dumbbell increases the heart rate. We round out this session with stretches. Exercises include:
-1 leg balance transfer
-1 dumbbell rainbow
-Reverse lunge to core balance
-Kneeling wood chop
-Side lying reverse row
-Triceps skull crusher
Equipment: 3-5 pound dumbbells.
Up Next in Breast Cancer Movement
Resource: Axillary Cording
Axillary Web Syndrome
• Cording in armpits and down arms
• Exact cause unknown
• Increased risk with radiation or lymph node dissection
• Affects mechanics and ROM of the shoulder
• Can sometimes resolve on its own
• See a PT to help address the cording, limited ROM and mobility of shoulder and c...
Resource: Basic Expectations Post-Sur...
Always, always check with your surgeon. These are generalized expectations.
• Lumpectomy or Partial Mastectomy (with or without sentinel node removal). No activity that jostles breasts for 2 weeks. Range of motion as tolerated beginning 1-2 days post-surgery.
• Axillary Node Dissection. Elevate ...
Resource: Helpful Insights
Helpful Things After Mastectomy
(Lots of options… these are on Amazon )
Port Cover for Seatbelt
Mastectomy Pillow for Driving
Mastectomy Pillow fo...